Sunday, February 21, 2010

My child won't visit grandparents home -- house too old...?

My hometown is in another state, and my elderly parents still live in the home I grew up in, an older and modest townhouse in an urban area, as compared to the residence we have in a suburban area.





One child is visibly upset about visiting the g'parents home for two weeks. Said he wasn't comfortable staying there. My parents' home has older plumbing, and on our last visit this child would not use the bathtub during the one week visit.





Now my child has told me the only way he would go back to visit is if we stayed in a hotel!!! For me to get a hotel room for two weeks would add expense to a tight budget. I try to schedule low-cost activities in the town as entertainment when we visit, and we help out my parents while we visit.





The child is less than 12 YO, I cannot hire a babysitter to stay with this child while I travel and I am growing thin of fighting on scheduling this trip. As parent, how do I make this trip work and the child enjoys it?My child won't visit grandparents home -- house too old...?
Well, sometimes kids have to learn that they have to do things they don't want to. Say that the visit will happen but talk to your child about how to deal with each issue - i.e. have a plan. Talk to your child about why else they may not want to visit (may have nothing much to do with the house, who knows?) That is going to be part of your child's life as an adult presumably, i.e. visiting and staying places that are different than home. It's good experience I think.My child won't visit grandparents home -- house too old...?
don't let your kid tell you what do. tell him that you want to your see your parents.

Report Abuse



WILL he die because of the plumbing


NO,


Did your parents abuse him


No


so teach your child matter he is a selfish brat you are the adult you make the decision where to stay on a vacation whe he is older and have his own family it will be his choice


look at it this way


If by chance you decide to stay where you leave now (just as your parents has) their is a chance that you might not see this child or his children because your home will be too old


If you let this child commend you now than you will have a lot of heartache in the future


Do not disappoint your parent because of a selfish child
Do you know story telling? Just take every opportunity to say stories of yourself at your parents place to your child, that is interesting and can catch the imagination of the child in an area that he really gets attracted to. Just touch on those topics that may make your father a hero sometimes and your mother the heroine sometimes. Cook up a real story when you hid underneath the crammed cot or dusty attic when your father had brought home a puppy and rabbit together and you were scared. Talk of the exotic way one could feel when your father walked across the room or entered the house in his heeled shoes making crisp tip top. Or, just talk of the huge drum on the outside when once a puppy or a cat had fallen inside and you were actually dropped down with a rope tied to your waist to lift it up, and may be if the drum is still there, that you would show it to him.





blah blah.





i'm sure it would work.
Have you asked him WHY he's uncomfortable staying there? He obviously has SOME kind of issue with it and to assume anything will not benefit either of you.
Well is it really hard water? Or well water? Because when I was little I hated going to my great grandma's house because her water smelled like eggs (as a lot of well water does) and tasted like pennies... even when she put it in lemonade or even cooked vegetables with it, I couldn't get over the taste. My parents and other relatives didn't mind the taste and thought I was crazy, but I HATED it.





Ask him if it's the water, and buy him a lot of bottled water/gatorade when you go if it is.
Maybe the child does not want to go anyway.Can the child stay with other relations or friends rather than make the trip hell for both of you?

No comments:

Post a Comment