Saturday, February 20, 2010

For a newlywed couple, what is the best choice for a place to live- i.e. apartment, mobile home, house, etc?

My Fiance and I are getting married in a few months from now. We both are still living at home with our parents- that is, she is home living with her folks, and I am still at home living with my own.





We want to make the best choice for us, in terms of financially, in terms of having privacy, and in terms of learning as best we can about one another in a safe and loving environment. We have pretty much decided that living with either sets of parents is not an option.





My wife-to-be wants to start out by purchasing a decent but inexpensive mobile home. I am fine with this idea. But is it the wisest choice? It will cost approximately as much as renting a one bedroom apartment. Probably, the payments on the mobile home itself will be around 300, and the lot rent will cost around 300 as well. Thus, the total will be around 600 per month.





Is this a good choice for us? We are both just getting good jobs now, and we are not earning a whole lot yet. Thanks for your help and ideas.For a newlywed couple, what is the best choice for a place to live- i.e. apartment, mobile home, house, etc?
I got married the first time I was only 18. We lived with his parents until we found a mobile home that was a 2 bedroom cute as could be. We didn't have to make payments on a lot because we put it on my parents land. They have alot of land so we put it on the other side so that we had plenty of privacy. Getting a loan for a mobile home was actually a good start for us. It wasn't as big of loan that we would have to try to get out from under later if we wanted to like a house would be and yet we were still establishing a good credit history by doing this. We didn't stay together but that doesnt matter as far as that goes. It really helped us get established without having something to try to get out from under or take forever trying to sell like a house or just wasting our money by renting an apartment. When we got divorced we both had credit scores close to 900. So I would say yes the mobile home idea is a good choice. Good luck you two :)For a newlywed couple, what is the best choice for a place to live- i.e. apartment, mobile home, house, etc?
I think you guys should go for a aprtment 1st. You are still young and you don't know what the future may bring. Since you are just starting your careers you may be able to afford a house in the near future. Houses have better value then mobile homes. I hope you have future plans to make more money then living in a mobile home. One of you might expire to a better career. maybe college or something. Just a suggestion.
Hmm, a mobile home sounds like trouble to me. They aren't eye appealing and what about insurance? What if something happens to your home? What happens when you want to sell it? How many people out there want to buy a used mobile home? I would call your auto insurance provider and see if you can get an estimate on fire, flood, etc. home insurance for the home. I'll bet your monthly costs will go up. Also, what about lawn maintenance?


If you go with an apartment complex...take the top level. You don't want to start out on your own together living under inconsiderate people who make your life miserable (I've been through that). Ultimately...I would suggest purchasing a town home (depending on the area you live in). I live in the city of Charlotte, NC and you can get a modest townhome for $85,000. That would put your payments at about $600, but you have to factor in condo fees (usually $100-$150 monthly). The cost of housing really does depend on the area you live in. My friends live outside of Baltimore and own a much less appealing home than what I purchased and pay about double. Good luck to you and congratulations.

No comments:

Post a Comment