Saturday, February 20, 2010

If my parents live in my home (house in my name) and I don't drive, do I need to be on their car insurance?

I don't own a car but my parents recently moved into my house because they are not working now. I don't own a car but do have a license. I heard that if you are living in the same house you have to be listed as a driver regardless if you drive or not. Is this true? I might drive their car once in an emergency but not more than 10 times a year. Is this legal for me to not be on their policy still?If my parents live in my home (house in my name) and I don't drive, do I need to be on their car insurance?
Yes, all licensed drivers in the household DO have to be on the policy, or specifically excluded. I went through this with my roommate--even she had to be listed on my policy. If you aren't, and you ever drive the car and have an accident, the insurance company doesn't have to cover you.





You should take this up with their insurance agent--it is possible that the law varies by state. I don't know, but I would think it wouldn't affect the rates as long as your driving history is OK.If my parents live in my home (house in my name) and I don't drive, do I need to be on their car insurance?
no you don't have to list people living in your house on your insurance. Your parents' policy should cover you if you need to borrow the car occasionally.
You needed to be listed that you live in the same household, however you can be 'excluded' which means you do not affect the rate and do not have insurance in ANY situation.
yes you should be listed on their policy, the insurance states ';all persons living in the household'; and the insurance company has the right to know its exposure (who's driving or could be) after all, you would have access to the cars

No comments:

Post a Comment